MuseuMOST
  • HOME
  • CONTACT

John Marshall 1821-1892
Was significant to Burke, Virginia.  His grave is a monument near the the center of Burke - although now hidden.
​Tidbits of collected information are below.

John Marshall 1821- 1892  ( age 71)     Mary Jane Marshall 1826- 1887 ( age  60)  No children
John Marshall owned a general merchandise store in Burke. His home and store were built between 1850 and 1852. Many rooms were added through the years to house some of the couple's 24 nieces and nephews.   He acted as manager for Mrs. Silas Burke. He was train station manager. He was appointed the first post master of Burke and served between 1852-1854. 
Civil War -
Marshall kept his bee hives on the second story porch to prevent the Federals (Union army) from taking any). Marshall vouched for Mr. Holsapple as a good man and the community doctor when Holsapple was captured by Stuart during the Christmas Raid at the train station  in 1862.  Less than a week after the Stuart's Raid,  Marshall is arrested in January 5, 1863 for aiding the enemy and sent to Old Capitol Prison. Later, he was released upon taking the oath of allegiance to the US and vowed to support the crush of the rebellion.
After the war, he received a voucher for $511.00 from the Confederate States of America for bushels of corn and hay that had been seized by the Confederates. 
1873-1874  Marshall was appointed election judge.
The Marshalls made a gift to land to Church of the Good Shepherd in 1880. The church was built seven years later. 
In 1891, Mr. John A. Marshall purchased the house and property of the late Col. Silas Burke and began repairing and renovating the home. 
“ There is a good view of the Washington Monument, some 20 miles distant, from the upper story of the main dwelling without the aid of a glass.”
Fairfax Herald  December 14, 1891
Sources: Memories of Beautiful Burke by Netherton and Rose, National Archives Selected Records of the War Department on Confederate Prisoners 1861-1865

858:205 MARSHALL, JOHN A.    39    $3600/4000        VA    farmer
Mary J.*    33            VA    married
Thomas T.     30            VA    afflicted; illiterate, crippled
Tax Map # 78:1,2
Agricultural Census  254:12    $3600/200        70 farmed acres‑ 30 acres
  Horses    3    Indian Corn    250 bu
  Milk Cows                               10            Oats                 240 bu
  Working Oxen                         2             Peas & Beans     4 bu
  Cattle                                         9             Ir. Potatoes       25 bu
  Sheep                                       12            Buckwheat       32 bu
  Hogs                                         50                       Butter    250 lb
  Livestock  value                   $575                      Hay          50 tons
  Listed between W.W. Cockerille and Richard A. Walker.
Slave Census  538: 6 slaves;  l building
JOHN A. MARSHALL was appointed Postmaster when Burke Station post office was established on March 8,1852.     HSFC  XIV:21
Voted at Bayliss' in 1859. In 1861 was Commissioner of the Election at Arundells. Voted for secession.
Then owned 3 slaves, 3 horses, 1 vehicle, 20 cattle, 12 sheep, 18 hogs, 1 watch and 1 clock.
Personal Property Tax
Jane Marshall, wife of John A. Marshall, died May 3,1887 at her home at Burke Station, in her 60th year.
    Alex. Gaz. May 4,1887
Source  Fairfax County in 1860: A Collective Biography by Edith Sprouse 
Story from the descendants John and Mary Marshall

​Burke Civil War Unknown soldier 
A soldier ( not known whether Union or Confederate) crawled to the porch of the Marshall Store and died there.  Family still has the sword that he was carrying. 

Marshall Cemetery Notes:  The footstones were removed from the cemetery for safekeeping. Each had been toppled . Marshall footstones have carvings on them . The Marshall footstones, made from marble,  were located on either side of the obelisk .
From the online cemetery survey of Fairfax County Public Library 
Marshall Family Cemetery, Burke Rd. And Silas Burke Park, Burke, Va., FX159 
The cemetery is located 20' north of Burke Rd., 200' west of Silas Burke Park. It contains only one large obelisk, in memory of J. A. MARSHALL (1821-1892) and MARY J. MARSHALL (1826-1887), and three footstones. The elaborate obelisk is about 14' high, with inverted torches on each corner, and capped by a draped urn. A 6' chain link fence was installed around the site in 1990 to deter vandalism. Notes:  The footstones were removed from the cemetery for safekeeping. Each had been toppled . Marshall footstones have carvings on them . The Marshall footstones, made from marble,  were located on either side of the obelisk .

MARY J. MARSHALL , Death: MAY 3, 1887 
Comment: Front of obelisk inscribed "A precious one from us has gone. A voice we ì loved is stilled. A place is vacant in our home which never can be ì filled. God in his wisdom has recalled the boon his love has given, and ì though the body moulders here, the soul is safe in heaven." 

J. A. MARSHALL, Death: DEC 22, 1892 
Comment: Rear of obelisk. 


  • HOME
  • CONTACT